Rehabilitation, Walking and Mobility Devices

The Ministry of Health assists in funding the cost of rehabilitation, walking and mobility devices for persons with a permanent disability based on criteria established in the ministry procedures. The service is provided to the public through the health offices.

People with disabilities who receive assistance from another source, including: Disabled IDF and Ministry of Defense veterans, victims of hostilities, work-related accident victims, road accident victims from 1975 onwards, and victims of Nazi persecution are not entitled to assistance from the Ministry of Health. People with disabilities who are hospitalized in nursing homes or in facilities of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services (retirement homes) are only entitled to funding towards the cost of walking devices and artificial limbs.

Funding Policies

The amount the Ministry of Health funds 90% of the cost of mobility devices, 75% of the cost of rehabilitation devices, and the contribution towards the cost of walking devices varies, all vased on the maximum price set by the Ministry of Health or by using the lower of three price quotes. A citizen who has difficulty in financing his part of the purchase can apply to the social worker at the health office, who is authorized to reduce the amount of the co-payment. For links that detail further information, see the “More Information” section at the bottom of this page.

Prior to the purchase, it is important to consult with the responsible official in the health office for help with applying for funding. Some or all of the following documents may be required:

  • Medical report signed by a doctor.
  • Letter of recommendation of a physiotherapist or an occupational therapist from the insuring health fund.
  • Children’s special education institutions should also attach the recommendation of a physiotherapist or occupational therapist.
  • Functional nursing care report signed by a nurse and social welfare report signed by a social worker.

Additional documents will be requested, when necessary.

Note: It is recommended that individuals consult with the district health office before starting the process of purchasing an item.

Repair of devices:

The Ministry of Health contributes towards the cost of repairing motorized mobility devices after the supplier’s warranty expires.

List of devices

Note: We always aim to provide the most updated information available, though the Ministry of Health may update its information from time to time and this is always first reflected on their Hebrew website.

Rehabilitation devices

  • Hearing aids for children up to age 18
  • Low vision aids, such as telescopic and microscopic eyeglasses, for children up to age 18
  • Special contact lenses for children unable to wear eyeglasses
  • Prosthetic breast (and first bra), eyes, nose and ears

Mobility devices

  • Manual wheelchairs, buggies, motorized chairs
  • Inserts
  • Commodes
  • Special cushions for wheelchairs
  • Manual and electric fowler and hi/low beds
  • Electric air mattresses to prevent pressure wounds
  • Home lifts (hydraulic or mechanical)
  • Reverse walkers, walkers, forearm walkers and forearm crutches

Walking devices and prosthetic limbs

  • Orthoses (for walking)
  • Prosthetic limbs
  • Cosmetic glove for artificial hand
  • Special medical shoes
  • Prosthetic socks

Additional devices for recipients of (government) allowances

  • Regular walkers
  • Various types of walking canes
  • Sponge cushions and mattresses to prevent pressure wounds

More information

For more details, see Assistance Funding Rehabilitation and Ambulatory Assistance Devices on the Ministry of Health’s English website, or the following pages we translated as part of our collaboration with Kol-Zchut:


If you found the content on this page useful, please consider an on-going or one-time donation to The Shira Pransky Project!

7 thoughts on “Rehabilitation, Walking and Mobility Devices: Health Ministry Purchase Assistance

  1. i am a new oleh, my husband is disabled. I do have most of his equipment, what we dont have is grab bars for the bathrooms – is there anyone who covers them
    thank you
    g reingold

    • Hi Gertie, I hope all is well and am glad to hear that you are receiving much of what your husband needs. The Ministry of Construction and Housing provides financial assistance to perform housing modifications for people with limited mobility. According to Section 2.1.4 of Ministry of Construction and Housing directive 8/10, (and, obviously subject to the relevant criteria), this includes modifications to bathrooms. See the Ministry of Health’s English website for more details including the application process:

      The directive may be found in Hebrew here:

      Please let us know if you need anything else.

      • i live in an apartment house in bet shemesh. as stated above i have a disabled husband confined to a wheelchair. Our problem is that the sidewalk in front of our building does not have any cutouts or ramps which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to take him in and out of the house
        How can I get something done

        • Hi Gertie, You should talk to the Iryah (Beit Shemesh Municipality). According to their website, Avital Artzi is a social worker who is in charge of handling issues for people with disabilities. You can reach her at: 02-9909978.

  2. Hello, I have a minor mobility issue and generally do not need a wheelchair, cane or mobility device to get around. One of my main needs is a toilet frame, or grab bars for the bathroom. Do you know if The Health Ministry would consider my minor mobility issue severe enough to receive their assistance.

Comments are closed.