You may be eligible to receive discounts on purchasing glasses from your kupat cholim if you are a member of their additional health service plans. All of the kupot cholim have agreements with specific stores, or their own stores, where the discounts they offer are available. Be sure to ask the secretary at your local clinic, or the information hotline to locate a participating store. You will also have to fulfill the eligibility requirements to get your discount. We have summarized the discounts and conditions below, but be sure to check your eligibility directly with the kupat cholim.
Adults with the following diagnosed vision problems are entitled to partial coverage for the cost of plastic glasses lenses or contact lenses. Children are eligible for these same benefits, or a blanket discount of up to 600 NIS for one pair of frames and lenses per year without specific diagnosis requirements.
- Shortsightedness or farsightedness of 7 or higher (5 up to age 10): 83% discount up to a ceiling of 510 NIS on one pair of glasses lenses or one pair of contact lenses per year, or a discount of 83% up to a ceiling 225 NIS on the purchase of a single contact lens
- Astigmatism or a cylinder of number 7 or higher: 83% discount up to a ceiling of 1,995 NIS on one pair of glasses lenses per year
- Keratoconus: 83% discount up to a ceiling of 1,995 NIS on one pair of glasses lenses per year, or 998 NIS off the purchase of a single lens or 1,995 NIS off the purchase of one pair of contact lenses per year
- After a corneal transplant or corneal therapy: 83% discount up to a ceiling of 1,995 NIS on the purchase of one pair of contact lenses or an 83% discount up to a ceiling of 998 NIS on the purchase of a single lens per year
Members are eligible for any discounts available to gold members. In addition, Sheli members who need glasses are entitled to a 50% discount on the purchase of eyeglasses, sunglasses and contact lenses at participating stores. This discount can be used on multiple purchases over 3 years until reaching a ceiling of 1,002 NIS discounted (total purchase cost of 2,004 NIS). The full discount credit is renewed every 3 years. This discount cannot be combined with the discount on plastic glasses lenses available for the specific conditions listed above, but the member may choose which benefit to receive.
Children up to age 18 are entitled to purchase prescription glasses once a year costing up to NIS 700 with a co-payment of 10%. When the glasses cost more than NIS 700, members pay the difference plus 70 shekels.
Adults 70 years and older are eligible for the same discount as children for regular glasses or a discount on multifocal or bifocal glasses up to a ceiling of 1,200 NIS with a co-payment of 10% once every two years. When the multifocals or bifocals cost more than 1,200 NIS, members pay the difference plus 120 NIS.
Gold and Silver Members
Adults are are eligible for up to 70% total discounts on frames and lenses on purchases made at participating stores. Prices are determined based on the specific frame and lens choice. Children are eligible for free glasses ((frame, optical lenses and anti-reflex coating) up to 650 NIS ceiling with a 21 NIS co-payment.
Mushlam Platinum members
Children up to age 18 are entitled to a discount on glasses up to 600 NIS once per calendar year. If the cost exceeds 600 NIS the member pays the difference. The benefit includes checking eyesight and glasses (frame, optical lenses and anti-reflex coating). Alternatively, you can use this benefit for the purchase of contact lenses.
- Supplemental Insurance
- Choosing Your Kupah’s “Higher Level” Plans
- The Blindness and Visual Impairment Portal on Kol Zchut