An eating disorder refers to a number of psychological disorders related to insufficient food intake or overeating. Individuals suffering from them may have difficulty admitting that they have a problem before seeking help.
Coverage and provision of services for eating disorders is essentially the same as any other psychological disorder.

How do I get treatment for an eating disorder?

  • Discuss the steps to finding treatment with your general practitioner. You may need to see a diagnostic psychiatrist or psychologist to get referred to specific treatment.
  • You can also make an appointment with a kupah social worker at your local clinic for additional guidance.

Where can I get treatment and what does it entail?

  • There are clinics specializing in treatment of eating disorders that are either directly operated by the kupat cholim, or are private and may or may not be affiliated with a specific kupah.
  • Treatment options  may be either in-patient or out-patient and the specific type of referral is based on the severity of the patient’s condition.
  • The vast majority of eating disorders are treated through out-patient care, while those who are hospitalized are generally placed in the facility’s mental health ward or a department specializing in eating disorders.
  • Care is generally provided by a multi-disciplinary professional team comprised of doctors, mental health professionals, dieticians and other professionals.
  • Updated listings of treatment facilities with which the kupah is affiliated should be requested directly from the kupah.
  • The Israeli Association for Eating Disorders (IAED) website has a comprehensive listing of public and private facilities specializing in treatment of eating disorders (in Hebrew). 

What organizations offer support for eating disorders?

Related Information:

2 thoughts on “Eating Disorders – Treatment and Support Options in Israel

  1. Hi,
    I am looking for a therapist in Tzfat for a friend of mine. Any leads will be helpful.
    Thank you!

    • Unfortunately we do not maintain a listing of practitioners for treatment, so we can only recommend that you contact the kupah directly to find out about therapists, and/or that you contact one of the organizations listed in this post for further recommendations.

      You should also feel free to contact the AACI klitah counselor in the north for further individual guidance. See the contact info here:

Comments are closed.